With this cold weather setting in I thought I would come up with some recipes to warm you up from the inside! Now, don't let the name fool you, this isn't some nursing home or hospital grade soup; it is delicious and full of nutrients and flavours to keep you satisfied this winter.
Smoked Cauliflower and Kale Soup
1 large head cauliflower, cut into bite sized pieces
1 can coconut milk, full fat
8 kale stems, chopped
3 birds eye chills, diced (remove seeds to reduce the heat level)
2 carrots, chopped
3 brown onions, chopped
1 bunch of celery, chopped
4 cups beef, chicken or vegetable broth (I used Broth Of Life)
5x5 knob of ginger, chopped
5 large cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cumin
2 tbsp turmeric
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
20g organic, unsalted butter
Pink salt and pepper to taste
1. Pre-heat over to 200 degrees and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Place chopped cauliflower pieces, chills, garlic, ginger, salt, pepper, cumin, turmeric, paprika and olive oil in a large bowl and toss to coat the cauliflower pieces.
3. Spread out cauliflower pieces on the baking tray and place in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden.
4. While the cauliflower is baking, heat butter, onions, carrots and celery in a slow cooker or large soup pot and simmer for a few minutes.
5. Once cauliflower is ready, add to the pot or slow cooker along with the broth, coconut milk and chopped kale, then stir thoroughly to combine.
6. If using a pot, set temperature to high and bring to the boil for a few minutes, then simmer for a further 30 minutes. If using a slower cooker, set temperature to high to bring to a boil, then simmer on low for 3-4 hours.
7. Once you have let the soup simmer, place spoonfuls into a large blender and pulse to combine.
8. Store in the fridge in a glass container for up to 7 days.